Alberta Darling is happily married to her husband, Dr. Bill of 43 years. They have two children and two grandchildren.
Alberta graduated from Richwood H.S., in Peoria, Ill.; and then received her Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1966. She did graduate work at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee from 1972-74.
Alberta is a former teacher and marketing director.
Senator Darling was elected to the State Assembly in a May 1990 special election and was reelected in November 1990. She was elected to the State Senate in 1992 and was reelected in 1996, 2000, 2004 and most recently in 2008.
- Coalition of Wisconsin Aging Groups Tommy G. Thompson Award for Service in recognition for her work on long-term care (2007)
- Wisconsin Stem Cell Now, Inc. Courage Award, in recognition of her efforts on behalf of stem cell research in Wisconsin and the search for cures (2006)
- Wisconsin Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Advocate of the Year (2006)
- Inductee into the National MS Hall of Fame (2006)
- Wisconsin Manufacturers and Commerce 100% Pro-Business Legislator (2006)
- Wisconsin Builders Association Friend of Housing (2006)
- American Cancer Society Legislative Champion (2006)
- Fair Air Coalition Friend of Education
- Metropolitan Milwaukee Assn of Commerce Champion of Commerce
- Wisconsin Head Start Directors Association Award of Excellence
- Future Milwaukee Leadership Award
- National Assn. of Community Leadership Leadership Award
- United Way Gwen Jackson Leadership Award
- ESHAC Governor’s Service Award
- William Steiger Award for Human Service
- St. Francis Children’s Center Children Service Award
- Riverwest Effective State Leadership Award
- Milwaukee Civic Alliance Community Leadership Award
- American Marketing Association Marketer of the Year
- North Shore Rotary
- College Savings Program Board (EdVest)(chair)
- Junior League of Milwaukee (former president)
- YMCA (board member)
- Public Policy Forum
- United Way Executive Committee Director (former)
- American Red Cross of Wisc. Executive Committee and Board of Directors (former)
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-22461823-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);